One of my favorite recipes for cabbage involves my slow cooker! This recipe is quick to throw together and delightful to eat. Enjoy this easy and healthy Crockpot Sausage and Cabbage Recipe!
*This post contains affiliate links which earn me a small commission at no cost to you.*
One way I keep my budget low is to buy what’s cheapest when it’s cheapest. I use the EWG’s Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 list prioritize my organic purchases.
I like cabbage a lot, and I like it even better since it’s on the Clean 15 List and often very cheap! I’ve found that cabbage hits rock bottom prices around St. Patty’s Day for some reason. Watch for cheap cabbage in March!
Crockpot Sausage and Cabbage Recipe
I’ve been making this recipe for Sausage and Cabbage in my crockpot for a long time. I found the original recipe on southernfood.about.com but I can’t find the original source anymore – and I’ve since adapted the recipe to fit my family’s needs.
It’s easy and delicious and perfect for busy days because you can just throw the ingredients in the slow cooker and forget about them. It’s also naturally gluten-free and so just about anyone can eat it!
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds organic kielbasa
- 1 cup apple juice or water works just as well, honestly
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 large potatoes, diced
- 2-3 large carrots, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Layer the cabbage, onion, potatoes, carrots, and sausage in a 5 or 6 qt. crockpot.
- Whisk together the juice, mustard, vinegar and pour over crockpot ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. (My crockpot cooks it faster than that - it's usually ready after only 4-6 hours instead so prepare to adjust the time depending on your crock pot.)
- I've also cooked it on high for 1 hour and then on low for 3-4 hours when I forget to get it ready earlier in the day.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1318mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 18g
Nutritional data is not always correct.
Want more healthy recipes? You may like these posts!
SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.