- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ? cup whole wheat flour
- ? tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ? tsp. salt
- ? cup sugar
- ? cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup diced apple
- 1/2 cup diced pear
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients and cut in butter until the mix resembles small peas.
- Add the diced fruit and then add milk.
- Stir until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a cooking stone.
- Form a 9" circle.
- Top with extra sugar if desired.
- Cut circle into 8 pie shaped pieces.
- Separate the pieces so they don't touch.
- Bake for 22-28 minutes.
Apple & Pear Scones made with Whole Grains
Simplify breakfast time by making scone packets for your freezer. I get out 5 different bowls, mix all of the dry ingredients together (one recipe per bowl), and then dump each bowl into a freezer bag. Then next time I want scones, instead of having to get all of the dry ingredients out again, I just pull a bag out of the freezer! I got this idea from Jessica over at Life As Mom and it works great for me.