Welcome to the Tuesday Garden Party! I’m sure you guys are sick of hearing my say I’m still waiting for tomatoes to ripen, but guess what??? I’M STILL WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARGH! And that’s it. That’s my big update. My garden continues to be in a holding pattern, waiting on tomatoes. If you follow me on Instagram (hint, hint), you will see more current pictures of all the projects going in our country life. <3
Tuesday Garden Party – Garden Inspiration for 8/25/2015
From your host this week, Shelly from Frugal Family Home,
Wow, I can’t believe we are already at the end of August. It seems like this summer just flew right by. I don’t know about where you live, but almost everything seemed to be ready about a month early. The strawberries, the raspberries, the blueberries, I even canned my dill pickles a month earlier than I did last year.
I noticed a few leaves laying in the grass this week and picked them up because they looked so pretty. The leaves on our oak trees are already starting to change. But what’s weird is the maple tree hasn’t started at all. I know our oak tree leaves usually start to turn long after the maple leaves. We have pin oak trees and the leaves will usually just turn an ugly brown color and drop off. But this year they are really beautiful.
I noticed our pie pumpkin has already turned orange. This is the first year we have grown pie pumpkins and I didn’t expect it to start to turn color until September. But when I went out the garden this week our pie pumpkin is almost all orange. I might need to be cooking it for pumpkin puree and roasted pumpkin seeds.
I planted a little more lettuce, kale, and watermelon radishes. The first set of radishes all went to seed this year so I’m hoping this second planting will do better. If you saw last week’s Tuesday Garden Party you saw that my kale that did so well over the summer had become fully infested with aphids. I pulled them all up in hopes to keep the aphids from spreading to my broccoli that had survived all summer without bolting, but still have yet to produce any broccoli heads. Maybe we will get a few this fall.
That’s what’s been happening here in our Oregon garden. Here are a few great ideas that other gardeners shared from last week’s Tuesday Garden Party……
1. Deborah from Grace, Garden, and Homestead shared about the great deal she found on 15 cantaloupes. If you run across a great deal like this she has some ideas of how to preserve it.
2. Easy Peasy Life Matters shared a 2 ingredient wasp spray that we could have used around our house a few weeks ago when we took down 4 wasp nest and killed about 30 wasps in one day.
3. This looks like a delicious bruschetta from Erlene from My Pintereventures.
4. I don’t think I would have thought to put peaches and peppers in the same tart but Homemade Food Junkie did and it looks delicious.
5. Julie from Southern Wild shared how she took an old metal filing cabinet and made it into a planter.
Can’t wait to see what you have to add to the party this week!
[inlinkz_linkup id=556597 mode=1]SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.