Wondering how to make turkey pot pie from scratch?? While it might sound a little daunting to make a turkey pot pie 100% from scratch, it’s really not that hard. Here’s how!
Making pot pies from scratch is not that hard, but it does take a while if you make everything, including stock and crusts. My best tip is to batch cook everything! Have premade pie crusts already in the freezer! Start cooking the stock on Thanksgiving day and freeze it in 2 cup portions. (Make sure you don’t forget that super important ingredient in your homemade stock! My recipe is here.) Making everything as you have time will help you whip out a homemade pot pie from scratch with seemingly little effort. Best of all, if you’d prefer chicken or beef pot pies (or veggie pot pie for that matter) you can use these same directions to guide you!
How to Make Turkey Pot Pie from Scratch
First, prepare your favorite double pie crust. I recently found a new recipe which I love – it’s the perfect flaky, buttery pie crust. It’s my grandma’s secret pie recipe, but updated to use coconut oil instead of lard. You can find the recipe here. I like to batch make these and freeze pie balls.
To make the filling, chop 4 cups of veggies and cook them in 2 cups of homemade turkey stock for about 6-8 minutes. You just want to pre-cook them a bit so they bake faster in the oven. While the veggies are cooking, make a roux by melting 3 TBS butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in 2 TBS flour, and add 1/2 cup milk. Stir until thickened. Then add the bubbly mix of stock and veggies , 2 cups chopped turkey, and a cup of peas to the potatoes and carrots. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir until combined. Pour the filling into the pie crust and spread out nicely.
Put on the top pie crust, crimp the edges, and make slits in the pie crust. Brush the pie crust with whisked egg mixed with 1 TBS water and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the crust is nice and brown and filling is bubbly.
- Double pie crust
- 2 cups turkey stock
- 2 cups chopped turkey
- 2 cups chopped potato
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a deep dish pie pan with the bottom pie crust.
- Cook the chopped potatoes and carrots in 2 cups turkey stock for 6-8 minutes over medium temperature.
- Prepare the roux by melting 3 TBS butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 2 TBS flour into the butter and add milk.
- Whisk until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour the gravy into the potato and carrot mix. Add 2 cups chopped turkey ad 1 cup frozen peas.
- Stir until combined.
- Add salt and pepper and pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Add the top crust, make slits in the top, brush with egg and water mix.
- Bake 45 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven. Let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!
Do you like homemade pot pie from scratch? What’s your favorite type?
Wondering how else to repurpose Thanksgiving Leftovers? Here you go!
Immune Boosting Chicken Stew (works great with turkey too!)
SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.