This Whole 30 approved Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is just what you need on cold winter days. Easy, hearty, delicious, this easy beef and vegetable soup recipe is new a family favorite.
Welcome back to another year of Houseful of Soups! If you missed last year’s post, you’ll have to check it out – Instant Pot Chili made with dried beans – no soaking necessary! I’m excited to join in for a second year, so make sure you check out all the delicious soups linked at the bottom of this post. You won’t be disappointed!
Hearty Instant Pot Hamburger Soup Whole 30 Approved
It’s totally soup weather in Eastern Iowa. We’re currently covered in snow, rime ice, and hoar frost and haven’t seen the sun in many days. Our house had been without heat for almost a week.We live in a super-insulated passive house, so the lack of heat isn’t a big problem as long as the sun shines, but without the sun, it got steadily colder in the house.
When we woke up to 60 degrees over the weekend, I told my husband it was time to add a utility heater. After a bit of grumbling, he did. And it’s once again toasty warm in the house. All of this information just sets the stage for why it’s soup time at home. Nothing beats a hearty bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day, and this instant pot hamburger soup is a win!
I created this soup recipe after looking for Whole 30 approved soups. Most of the soups I enjoy are cream based, and dairy is right now with Whole 30. For some reason, the thought of swapping cream for coconut milk just doesn’t sound all that appetizing for me. I mean Zuppa Toscana with coconut milk? I know they say don’t knock it until you’ve tried it – but it just doesn’t sound like a winning combo to me.
So, I opted for a non-creamy soup instead, and this is really quite tasty. Here’s how to make it this healthy and delicious beef and vegetable soup!
Ingredients for Hamburger Soup
1 medium chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green pepper, diced
1 pound ground beef or turkey
4 small potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1″ pieces
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into 1″ pieces
14.5 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
15 ounces tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups broth, beef or chicken (I use chicken broth that I made in my instant pot and freeze! So handy to have homemade chicken broth on hand!)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups kale
How to Make Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
Turn on Instant Pot Sauté feature. Once it’s heated, add the ground beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper.
Cook until the ground beef is completely browned, about 5 -7 minutes. Drain grease if necessary. If you use 85% lean ground beef or higher, you shouldn’t have to drain any grease.
Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT kale. Close the lid and set the pressure release knob to the Sealing position. Cancel the Sauté feature and press the manual button. Make sure pressure is set to HIGH and select 7 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
Once the cooking time finishes and the pressure cookers beeps, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. Then, turn the pressure release knob to venting and let the pressure manually release. I like put a washcloth on the pressure knob to keep the steam from spraying everywhere.
Carefully open Instant Pot. Stir well once more, and add kale. Leave the Instant Pot on warm and the kale will cook in a few minutes.
Can I make this whole 30 soup on the stovetop?
Don’t have an instant pot? Yes, you can absolutely make this soup on the stove top. I’d recommend investing in an instant pot, but if you’re really against it, you can totally make this hamburger soup right on your stove top.
Simply sauté the ground beef, onions, garlic, and green pepper over medium heat until the beef is browned and the veggies are soft. Add the remaining ingredients except kale and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are soft. Add kale and cook for a couple more minutes, then serve.
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 14.5 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups broth, beef or chicken
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups kale
- Turn on Instant Pot Sauté feature. Once it's heated, add the ground beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Cook until the ground beef is completely browned, about 5 -7 minutes. Drain grease if necessary.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT kale.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release knob to the Sealing position.
- Cancel the Sauté feature and press the manual button. Make sure pressure is set to HIGH and select 7 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
- Once the cooking time finishes and the pressure cookers beeps, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. Then, turn the pressure release knob to venting and let the pressure manually release. I like put a washcloth on the pressure knob to keep the steam from spraying everywhere.
- Carefully open Instant Pot. Stir well once more, and add kale. Leave the Instant Pot on warm and the kale will cook in a few minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
If you use 85% lean hamburger or more, you should not have to drain any grease. If you'd rather use ground turkey or ground chicken, that works too!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 829mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
Nutritional data is not always correct.
Check out the other Houseful of Soup Recipes to add to your lineup for cold winter days!
- Vegetable Beef Stew from Houseful of Nicholes
- Chickpea Chicken Soup from Day by Day in Our World
- Simply Delicious Instant Pot Clam Chowder from Life of a Ginger
- Homemade 30 Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup from 100 Directions
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup from Mama Harris’ Kitchen
SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
What’s your favorite type of soup for cold days?