BKT Salad ~ Bacon, Kale, & Tomato
on Jun 19, 2012, Updated Oct 25, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My sister made this salad for my mom and I last weekend when we were in Missouri. She made it with fresh bacon, kale from my garden, tomatoes, avocados, blue cheese, sunflower seeds and a light lemon-garlic-olive oil dressing. It was soooo good. I think anything with bacon rocks, but bacon paired with all of the fresh veggies REALLY ROCKS!
Here’s how you can make your own.
- One bunch kale
- 1/2 - 1 pound bacon
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- handful of blue-cheese crumbles
- sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Make the salad dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper, and garlic.
- Cook the bacon and crumble.
- Wash the kale, trim it from the stem, tear it into bite sized pieces.
- Add the dressing to the kale and toss well to coat.
- Add the other veggies, the cheese, bacon, and sunflowers.
Unlike other salad lettuce, kale is very hardy and holds up well even with the dressing on it. Normally, I would suggest not dressing salads until shortly before they are eaten, but this salad tastes better if it's dressed in advance and all the flavors meld together..
Do you eat kale? What’s your favorite kale recipe?
Linking up: Ultimate Recipe Swap;