If you like shopping at discount Amish stores to save money and you’re near Kalona, Iowa, make sure you check out the Central Discount Store! Affectionately called Bent & Dent because some of the wares it sells have damaged containers, this store sometimes has really good deals. Here’s what you need to know about Central Discount Grocery Store in Kalona.
Central Discount Store
One way I try to keep a low grocery budget is to shop at Amish stores. I live about 45 minutes from Kalona, Iowa which features the largest settlement of Amish people west of the Mississippi. There are quite a few Amish stores in the area that I love to visit, and Central Discount Grocery is one of them.
Location & Hours of Operation
Central Discount Grocery is located at 2298 540th St SW, Kalona, just passed the new Kalona Creamery and Stringtown Grocery Store. It has limited business hours and is only open three days a week: Monday & Wednesday (8-5), and Saturday ( 8-3). It’s important to know these hours of operation so you don’t show up when they’re closed. I’ve gone to Kalona on Tuesdays more times than I care to admit…
What you need to know about Central Discount Store
While it can be a great way to say money, there are a few things you need to be aware of in addition to the limited business hours!
- First of all, bring cash or a checkbook because they don’t take credit cards.
- The prices are amazing! Organic cereal for $1.50 and under, organic granola bars for under $1 a box, huge cans of organic tomatoes for under $1 can! I enjoy bargain hunting there.
- Bring your own bags or box up your groceries in the boxes they have on hand.
- Make sure you check expiration dates as many of the items they sell are expired. Quite frankly, expiration dates don’t scare me off on some items. That’s your own personal call, but I do sometimes buy items that are a couple months out of date. I won’t buy all expired items, but I’m just not worried about most of those dates.
- I have seen some moldy products there so make sure you look items over well.
- It’s owned and operated by Amish people and they appreciate modestly dressed customers. 🙂
What I buy at Central Discount Store
I personally buy a lot of organic products at Central Discount. My kids love when we go there because I generally come home loaded with cereal, granola bars, and gum. We usually plan visits to this store around times when I will be traveling and need to make sure that my family has convenience items to eat. My kids also love to go before we go on road trips to get road trip snacks and gum. We’re leaving this week for South Dakota, Montana, and Seattle and we’re stocking up!
While I do find lots of organic brands that I like: Annie’s, Nature’s Path, Muir Glen, Mary’s Gone Crackers, Horizon, Cascadian Farm, Bob’s Red Mill, Enjoy Life, it is hit and miss. Sometimes I find nothing, and sometimes I find a ton. You just have to be flexible and enjoy what you find. Central Discount Stores sells a large variety of conventional and organic food products, everything from aluminum foil, to kid’s books, to over-the-counter medicine and toiletries!
Have you been to Central Discount Store? What did you think? I’m also curious what you think about expiration dates on food…share your thoughts!
SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.