Today’s guest post comes from Shelly over at Frugal Family Home. Head over to her blog to read her 31 Days of Homemade Sweet Treats Series, 4 Weeks of Frugal Recipes Series, and sign up to get her Free eBook – Sweet Treats. Thanks, Shelly, for sharing your wonderful recipe on Simplify, Live, Love.
I love bread and chocolate. So, this recipe is like heaven for me. It’s a quick bread recipe. That means you can go from mixing it to eating this delicious bread in about 40 minutes, if you are making mini loaves. These little loaves also look great so they make a great hostess gift or Christmas food gift.
It’s an easy recipe. The hardest part is mixing the cocoa powder into the batter you hold out. I tried to whip it up really quickly and the cocoa powder didn’t cooperate. It ended up all over the place: the counter, the floor, and my socks. 🙁 So be sure to mix in the cocoa powder a little more slowly so you don’t end up with a mess like I did.
This recipe can be made dairy free by just using a milk substitute for the regular milk if you have allergies. Here’s the recipe,
Yields Makes 4 mini loaves or 2 regular sized loaves
- 2 cups Flour (I used unbleached all purpose flour but soft wheat would also work well)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk, Soy Milk, Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl except the cocoa powder and whisk to blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients to another bowl and mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop out about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of batter into a small bowl and add in the cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla batter to the butter or oiled loaf pans. I used the mini loaf pan size and this recipe made 4 loaves. If using regular loaf pans it should make two loaves.
- Drop a couple of tablespoons of cocoa batter on top of the vanilla batter for the mini loaf pans. If using the regular loaf pans just divide the cocoa batter evenly between the two pans.
- Now with a knife make a few passes horizontally and vertically to swirl in the cocoa batter to the vanilla batter. I did about three passes each way but I think a few more would have worked out better.
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 25 minutes for the mini loaves and 45 for the regular size loaves or until golden and baked through.
- Let the loaves cool about 5 minutes in the pans then remove from the pans and let them cool on a wire rack.
SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Shelly is a mom of two kids and wife to her husband of 23 years. She writes over at Frugal Family Home where she shares about homemaking on a budget.