Two of my favorite appetizers are jalapeno poppers and cheese dip (made with real cheese), so I decided to combine the flavors to see what would happen. And guess what? Spicy Jalapeno Popper Cheese Dip with Real Cheese is a huge hit! It’s the perfect appetizer for all of your football parties.
Football season is here! To celebrate, I’ve joined a group of bloggers from all over the country — all of whom are big football fans! — to bring you football-inspired recipes this season. Last month we shared our favorite tailgating recipes, and now we are sharing more ideas for celebrating on game day.
One of the most popular recipes on my blog is for a queso dip made with real cheese. It’s an awesome dip and I love that it’s Velveeta free, easy, and delicious! That recipe calls for a calls of a can of evaporated milk and I’ve been thinking for a while that I should find an alternative. Well guess, what? Regular ole half and half is amazing and works just as well and I’m happy to share this new recipe today with you!
Spicy Jalapeno Popper Cheese Dip with Real Cheese
Let’s get started!
Making this dip is very simple, and you can even do the following steps ahead of time to make game day prep seriously simple! Fry up a few slices of bacon and set aside. Dice up a few jalapenos (two will make a mild dip so add more if you desire spicy), half a yellow onion, and a couple cloves of garlic. Saute the veggies over medium heat in some of the reserved bacon grease right in the same pan.
Add the half and half and arrowroot powder and whisk until it begins to thicken. I use arrowroot powder as a healthier alternative to cornstarch. You can use cornstarch if you want.
Turn the heat down to low and whisk in the cream cheese.Then, slowly add the cheese and continue stirring until melted. Add mustard and more half and half if you’d like a thinner dip. It does tend to get pretty thick. I added an additional 1/4 cup of half and half to reach a consistency that made me happy.
- 6 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 1 TBS arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Cook bacon, reserving about a tablespoon of bacon grease. Set bacon aside and crumble when cool.
- Over medium high heat, saute onions, garlic, and jalapeno peppers in the bacon grease.
- Add half and half and arrowroot powder and whisk until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cream cheese, whisking to incorporate. Slowly add in the cheese, whisking until it melts. Add mustard and another 1/4 cup of half and half if the dip is too thick.
- Top with crumbled bacon and enjoy!
This recipe as written is actually on the mild side. If you'd like to make it spicier, consider adding 1-2 additional jalapeno peppers. You can also add a few seeds to notch up the spice. One final change you can make to bump up the spice is to use 8 ounces of the pepper jack cheese and 4 ounces of sharp cheddar.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g
Nutritional data is not always accurate.
What’s your favorite football appetizer? I’d love to hear!
SimplifyLiveLove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.