Taco Tuesday is a staple in our house and I’m always looking for creative ways to serve up tacos. My quick and easy instant pot taco dip with meat and beans is a new family favorite recipe.
Instant Pot Quick & Easy Taco Dip with Meat & Beans
I used my instant pot almost daily. It’s especially great for hot summer days because it’s a way to cook without heating up the kitchen. There really are few limits for what you can make in your instant pot, and this hot taco dip recipe is no exception!
This taco dip with beans and meat is a very versatile dish. Not only does it make a great appetizer for game day, but it also makes a delicious quick summer lunch that my kids can make themselves!
Ingredients for the hot taco dip
To make this hot dip, you need ground beef, beans, homemade taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, green chiles, taco sauce, garlic, and onions, and taco sauce. Salsa works in place of the taco sauce too, if you don’t have taco sauce on hand.
Why I always add beans to taco meat
I love cooking with beans. It’s a frugal way to stretch ground beef and my family thinks you really can’t taste them as they take on the other flavors of the dish.
According to Medical New Today, beans offer a lot of nutritional benefits. They’re a great source of complete protein, fiber, zinc, magnesium, and folate. Research suggests that eating beans can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease as well.
While I’ve been cooking with dried beans for a long time, I rarely use canned beans. Not only are canned beans more expensive than dried beans, but they’re usually really high in sodium as well.
I’ve found it to be so easy to make a bulk batch of beans in my Instant Pot and then freeze them in meal sized portions. A can of beans has about 1 ¾ cups of beans so I freeze them in 3 ½ cup portions, which equals 2 cans. I almost always add at least 3 ½ cups of beans to my taco meat.
Can I make this recipe if I don’t have an electric pressure cooker?
Yes, of course! All you really have to worry about is cooking the beef and that’s so simple! To make it on the stove top, just brown the beef completely in a large skillet, add the onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize. Then add remaining ingredients and cook until warm. Remove the dip to a large bowl, and serve with tortilla chips.
What should I serve with this delicious taco dip?
I recommend serving extra shredded cheese, sour cream, olives, fresh cilantro, diced fresh tomatoes, and of course, tortilla chips with this beef taco bean dip. To be perfectly honest, my kids also like to put the dip in a tortilla and turn it into a burrito!
Are you ready to make this Instant Pot Taco Dip?
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 ½ cups cooked pinto beans or 2 cans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes with diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup taco sauce (I have also used salsa in place of the taco sauce)
- 1/8 cup water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup of sliced black olives - for garnish
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and saute the ground beef until it is mostly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Toward the end of the beef cooking time, add the onion, crushed garlic, and taco seasoning, and continue cooking until onion starts to caramelize, about 6-8 more minutes.
- Add the rinsed and drained pinto beans, tomatoes, green chiles, water, and taco sauce to the beef mixture and stir well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is set to SEALING, and press the MANUAL button, and set the time for 2 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done, beeps and goes to OFF, do a quick release, by turning the pressure valve from Sealing to VENTING.
- After all pressure has been released, and the float valve has dropped down, remove the lid and stir the taco dip.
- Serve immediately, topped with cheese and black olives. Enjoy!
You can use other beans instead of pinto beans if you prefer. We also like this dip made with black beans instead.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g