I try to always keep ingredients on hand for a couple meals – my go-to meals – which can mean the difference between take-out pizza or a home-cooked meal. One of my go-to meals is Taco Soup – I’m sure you’ve heard of it. Everyone loves it. It’s quick and easy. The ingredients are easy to keep! And I can cook it in a pinch (as long as I have beans in my freezer). It used to be my “open can and dump” meal. Now that I don’t use much canned food it’s a bit less convenient, but as long as my freezer is well stocked, it still makes a delicious go-to meal. If you don’t like to use canned food, you can still make Taco Soup, with this easy recipe that doesn’t use cans!
Taco Soup – My Go-To Meal
- One pound ground beef
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes (I used one quart home-canned)
- 6 cups beans, any combination of kidney, red, or black (the equivalent of 3 cans), undrained (I cook and freeze dried beans)
- 2 - 4 cups corn (equivalent of 1-2 cans - but I use one quart home-frozen)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (I buy mine in bulk from Sam's Club - MSG-free)
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix (Watch out for MSG here, too. I have to find a new option, so if you know of an MSG-free variety, let me know)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Organic tortilla chips
- Sliced jalepenos or banana peppers
- Sour cream
- Brown the ground beef. Make sure to cook it thoroughly, until beef is completely brown and the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees (to kill any possible e coli)
- Dump tomatoes, beans, corn into the pot after the ground beef is cooked.
- And seasoning.
- Cook until warm!
- Garnish with your choice of extras.
Instead of store bought canned food, I use one quart of home-canned crushed tomatoes, frozen corn, and beans that I cook in bulk and freeze in large quantities. Served with homemade corn bread and a salad, I love that I can have this easy to prepare and delicious meal on the table in under 30 minutes! Yum YUM!!
By the way, you can also make this healthy soup in the slow cooker! I don’t normally, but sometimes it’s more handy. You can see the slow cooker recipe for Taco Soup here.
Having ingredients for go-to meals on hand helps me keep my grocery budget low and healthy food in our bellies. Do you have a go-to meal? I’d love to know what it is.